The FDU 3.50 emulator device was developed in order to replace the FDU 3.50 floppy drive unit of Scheck Elektronik GmbH. The original unit makes use of standard 3.5" floppy disc drive which is no longer available. Diskettes, FDD and FDC are replaced by removable storage media - micro SD card whose contents may be easily backuped to PC. One micro SD card may contain up to one hundred 720 kB diskettes. For selection of diskettes are used front panel push buttons. Actual selected diskette can be seen on front panel display.
Communication with host system is ensured by standard RS-232C serial line. Back panel serial line connector has the same wiring as the original FDU 3.50 unit. The FDU 3.50 emulator is equipped with Ethernet interface which serves for easy firmware upgrade and for remote access to diskettes on inserted micro SD card.
Dimensions of the FDU 3.50 emulator front panel and its mounting holes are the same as dimensions and mounting holes of FDU 3.50 floppy drive unit so that the emulator can be built into system instead of the original device. Original data cable is used for interconnection while power supply is ensured by standard 12 V power adapter.
- replacement of FDU 3.50 floppy drive unit including one hundred 720 kB diskettes on one micro SD card
- removable storage media: micro SD card
- only software handshake protocol implemented in current firmware version
- interface with respect to host system: RS-232C
- external interface for communication with PC: Ethernet, protocols FTP and Telnet
- serial line communication parameters selectable by the same way as on original unit
- indication of read/write activity on selected diskette
- data retention in micro SD card for at least ten years (depends on card type)
- micro SD card can be rewritten at least 100 000 times (depends on card type)
- power supply voltage +12V
- easy assembly into system
- easy exchange of diskettes
- easy backup of diskettes or individual files from micro SD card (via FTP or by using of card reader)
FDU 3.50 emulator
FDU 3.50 emulator front panel